Americas Best Contacts Eyeglasses - Americas Best Eye Care Unproffecional and misleading

May 11, 2010
review #181697

I just had my second bad experience at Americas Best in Des Moines, IA.I was suckered in by there :Free Exam and 2 pair of Eye glasses for $69.95" what they don't tell you is that only certain pair of glasses fall under their promotion but you don't find that out until you have picked your glasses and since their "69.95" sings are all over the store you can not really tell which are the ones on sale.

Furthermore if you wear contacts and check it off on their exam sheet it cost you an additional $100 MORE!! again, you don't find this out until you are done!! to save you money they give you a membership which entitles you to free future exams for the next three years. I walked out with ONE pair of glasses and one box of contact with a #267.00 dollar bill!

I figure since I pretty much got ripped off the first time and had their free exam this year i went back today. The so called doctor sat me down and flipped the lens ONCE and asked the normal questions "better or worse" then he said, ok, you're done. I thought he was kidding.

I will be filing a consumer report with the Polk County General attorney.In the meanwhile i will be going to a real Eye care facility like Walmart!

9c9a34a
Had an experience with Americas Best Contacts Eyeglasses?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
Annoyed

Mar 22, 2013

Dear Pissed Consumer,
The fact that you spent more than the $69.00 is your own fault. You could have decided to pick different frames once you found out the ones you chose were not included in the special. Also, on that note, if you were not sure what frames were included, perhaps it would have been beneficial to ask an associate. As far as the exam goes, if you paid the $99 down that exam is good for 3 years, making the average price $33/year. Any other office (including WalMart)requires a yearly exam that costs more than $33. I am an America's Best customer and for a total of $293 I walked away w/ 2 pairs of glasses, a 1 year supply of contacts and an exam that is good for the next 3 years, because I read the signs and picked my frames accordingly. Next time before you go blasting a store on the internet, take some responsibility and realize that you too could have gotten this deal had you taken the time to research. Good luck paying under $300 for all that stuff at Wal-Mart.

SuzyQ

Jul 16, 2012

I had very professional treatment, the eye glass frame and my precription was totally wrong. I went to my regular eye Doctor thinking I was losing my eyesight, the Doctor explained that my prescription had not changed in four years. My inexpensive glasses cost me over 400 dollars, plus I had to purchase a new pair from another eye shop. I would never recommend this place.

Wake up people

May 21, 2012

When u go somewhere and only want to pay 69$$for your eyecare you get what you pay for!!! :p

Jlo

May 06, 2012

Every optical posts ads that offer cheap eyewear, but its the consumer who needs to be smarter & read the fine print. These offers are for basic eyewear, if you want additional upgrades, you will pay for them, just like anything else you buy. The doctors are independant, not employees. So do your homework & choose wisely. Im a licensed optician manager who has worked at several of competitors, & not an employee of this company. I hear the same complaints for all the opticals. the advice I can give you is to ask questions before you commit, price & quality compare shop, read the ads carefully, note the* , get info & learn about the doctor& their reputation,. Be smart, if not u lose, if u do ,u win. That goes for anywhere you shop. Peace.

chill

Apr 24, 2012

I went to the one in saginaw mi it does say 69.95 for a pair of glasses but if you a big boy or girl you know better then to just let them pick things for you.. i did end up paying 250.00 But i got the higher end frames and upgraded my lenses i coulda got the cheap frames n paid 69.99 for two but it woulda been ugly frames n thick lenses. Also i wear contacts and 99 bucks for three years is cheap at Walmart its 100.00 each year mabya you guys got hoed out but im very happy that this company is here n very surprised its on this web page....

Paul Hofmann

Apr 14, 2012

I've just recently had my first experience with Americas Best, in Boardman, Ohio! The first visit went very good and I was excited about their offer. I was going to get two pairs of glasses that had the "Never Glare" and the "Transition" lenses, the free eye exam for $149.95! The extras do not apply and must be added on. Sice I had just left LENS CRAFTERS with the total price of $500.00 for one pair, I didn't think the offer from Americas Best was too bad. I scheduled my appointment and went in two days later. I was pleased with the exam and the help I received until the total bill of $300.00 was presented to me. The first visit, I was assisted by one of the store's assistance managers who gave me the previous estimate plus I was told there was a one year warranty on the frames and lens only to find out later that this wasn't true. The warranty cost extra! I settled for the two pairs with the "Never Glare" and walked out for $150.00 including tax. I haven't picked up my new glasses yet and I am a little concerned about the quality I will be getting! I will report later!

Michelle

Apr 05, 2012

I was not happy with the store in Margate, Florida. the eye doc was very bland. he talked me into getting reading glasses for a closer setting. I need them for computer mainly and I cannot see the computer! My distance glasses suck. He set it back from 4.25 to 3.25. they are not bad for computer but way off for distance. Very upset that now I have to go back. May just stick to my gut and go to my usual eye doctor. The lady that helped me pick out glasses was wonderful. but overall, bad experience. :cry

olson69

Feb 29, 2012

they suck at the dubuque iowa store i saved my money and it cost me almost 500 for 2 pairs and the frame broke and less then 3 months and i pay extra for insurance and they will not fix it

kace

Feb 16, 2012

I went to Americas Best today thinking it would be cheaper than what I usually spend on contacts and glasses, and of course I was wrong. I mean they were all certainly nice and cheerful but I ended up spending $300.00 and all I got was the exams and 1 pair of glasses, wtf, how did that happen? Oh and I have had the same perscription for the last 12 years but yet it magically changed today from +6.50 to what AB said I needed +3.50! Thats awesome that my eyes got that much better in just 1 year!! I'm very unhappy and I'm going to do everything I can to get my money back!!

Sheryl

Feb 08, 2012

I went to America's Best for the Free Eye Exam if you buy 2 pair of glasses and ended up spending 460.00-40.00 (exam) = $420.00. and I got cheap glasses. I called my insurance company who told me ABEC had an authorization number to be paid for my eye exam! They lied, cheated and stole from me and my insurance. I got all my money back, turned the into the insurance company and let teachers at my school know NOT to go there.

Justin, Chicago

Jan 23, 2012

You sir, are a *** and cannot spell. I have been going to America's Best for years. They are a great company in every way. When you join the Eye Care Club you don't ever have to pay for an exam for three years.

Get a life.

Jax

Jan 16, 2012

:upset can a person go in there and take charge of the situation and pay the $69.00? Are the cheap frames ok?

Woody

Jan 12, 2012

This co is a rip off, I to thought 2 pair for $69, no 2 pair for $350. I maded $100 deposit, was not given any info on cancellation nor was it on paperwork received. I requested deposit back was told NO, because the time to request refund had expired and glasses would be sent back & destroyed..so now I am out of deposit & glasses. Dont go to this Co they will rip you off just for coming thur the door.

Guest

Dec 20, 2011

Thanks everyone - I was going to go to America's Best but no way now that I've read all these complaints. :zzz

kc consumer

Oct 25, 2011

I need new glasses. Everytime I finally get around to getting new glasses I make a bad choice in where I purchase my eyeglasses. Yep, America's Best. I have a simple, single vision prescription. I can get a couple of frames for the slightly higher price... then WHAM!! Instead of the 2-fer deal I end up way over $300.00 Every time the add-ons add up to way more than the advertised price. This year I have a prescription in hand... now to find the right optical shop in KC. Suggestions?

sonny

Sep 11, 2011

it took me 6 trips to Am.worst in Fairview Heights Ill to get glasses. i dont expect to pay 69.00 as i wear no line bifocals with transition lenses. i did pay 375.00 for my glasses and expect to get glasses i can see out of. That took 6 trips at over 100 miles each. with gas over 3.75 a gallon and a truck that gets 18 miles per gallon, you do the math. My new glasses are still the worst glasses i have ever had in the 30 yrs i have wore glasses. i know my local dr. is high but i have always recieved great glasses from him.dont try to save money with these people as you will most likely not be happy. And did I mention that they were talking bad about me being a problem customer in front of me and other customers.They were also talking bad about other employees in front of us. VERY UNPROFESSIONAL!! USE YOUR LOCAL DR. AND GET GOOD GLASSES FROM SOMEONE WHO CARES. I WILL NOT MAKE THAT MISTAKE AGAIN.

Debi

Aug 27, 2011

I got 2 pairs of glasses at America's Best Eye Care.... lost one pair and the other I dropped getting out of my car and someone ran over them. Will I have to pay the full price for a new pair?

millie

Jun 02, 2011

I have had nothing but problems from America's Best in Wilkes-Barre. Pa. I started going there last june 2010. I saw the doctor who was great. Delt with him for almost 6 months because he found a problem with my eyes (Shogrin disease) so I went to go back for my last follow up before he would allow me to put contacts back into my eyes. I found out that they fired him, they have a new doctor, a female. She won't give me contacts because she has to examine my eyes this has gone on now and is still continuing. I have worn contacts since I was 18 I am now 47. I did what I was told by this doctor my last follow up on May 14th 2011. I ordered the contacts that she told me I was wearing as a trial pair and if I liked them to just order them from the company that america's Best deals with and that they were cheaper than 1800 contacts. so I did this and received an email from the company telling me that the doctor will not authorize them because I never went for a follow up appointment. Today is June 2, 2011, 1 whole year of this ***. I hate this company I think they are the biggest scam artist that there is and should be shut down. I am considering a lawyer.

Anonymous!

May 03, 2011

re: review 181697 Walmart will treat you just as bad! They are as UNPROFESSIONAL as AmBest.

WOW

May 01, 2011

Julie, You can't insult what isn't there.

1-20 of 36 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Americas Best Contacts Eyeglasses.
Filing a new complaint about
×